Monday, September 20, 2010

Happy Birthday

Born on the brink of fall
of mother in spring of life
Virgo on the cusp of Libra
Taurus Rising
seven-pounds-some
of cosmic energies.

Writhing in the will to live
cast-off and bastardly
big-eyed baby
and waiting.

Doctor Diameter
finished his errand
ran off
left only his name
on a forgible
formality.

Certified Live Birth
means I AM!
Accident
surely a New Year’s Eve spree
Origin Unknown.

Good sisters mothered me
just till my mother
was properly dossiered
prepped and suspensed.
Loved me I loved her

scars and all
lantern eyes found
what they searched for
in the dark.

There in a pile of red tape
a mother was born
a daughter legitimized.

No one noticed the outcome
of the abortion controversy
when she cried:

WE GOT OUR BABY!!!!!!!


© 2010 by Joyce Mason
All Rights Reserved
joycemason.com

Photo Credit: Beautiful Children in Autumn Leaves © Marina Maslennikova
Dreamstime.com
 
Author's Note: Happy Birthday is from my collection due out this autumn, Thick Water: Poems on Bonds of the Heart.

No comments: