Monday, September 27, 2010

Today I Saran Wrapped My Sanity and Unplugged the Refrigerator

You can see right through it
and it never sticks
like it says it should
(reminds me of men I have known)
so I stuck it in the icebox, pulled the plug, and hoped.

I think I just saw it oozing
toward my big toe.
Mixed with the grape
popsicle juice
and the smell of stale fish,
it almost looks green.

Guess I gotta clean it up
or move my foot.




© 2010 by Joyce Mason
All Rights Reserved
joycemason.com

Author's Note: Today I Saran Wrapped My Sanity is part of a three-poem trilogy I call The Sanity Poems, which also include No Cry but a Quicksand and The Glass Blower and the Goat

2 comments:

Pop Art Diva Enterprises said...

I love this one so much - especially the line about not sticking and moving your foot!

Joyce Mason said...

Thanks, Pop Art! My favorite line in it, too. The Sanity trio of poems were written when I first moved to California--on my own, isolated, brave but trembling! It was very difficult to figure out how to survive in this new and foreign environment in the early '70s. In retrospect, I get a huge kick out of the fact that my sense of humor was still clearly intact while I was in the middle of dealing with the results of the gutsiest thing I ever did! I don't think I would have ever had the courage to make such a drastic move at any other time of my life.