Thursday, May 9, 2013

Confluence


Poem © 2013 by Joyce Mason 
All Rights Reserved




I did not choose you, Sacramento.
You chose me,

a con job
I never saw coming.

You drew me with lust and lover
a promise of gold
bigger life
hot sun
opportunity.

Something much more was gathering
beneath the churning surface
drifting gently
floating me on your two rivers of change

I did not know then
the Native American concept

tinkuy

the harmonious meeting of opposing forces
pain and pleasure
sending me toward miracles, reunions
transcendence

in the Sacramental City
the place where the rivers
of all that was right and wrong
in my life merged:
confluence.

~.~.~ 

In celebration of the 40th anniversary of my move to Sacramento, California on May 9, 1973.  Sacramento is the Capital of California on the Sacramento and American Rivers.

Photo Credit:  Ziggurat and Tower Bridge in Sacramento at Sunset © Andy – Fotolia.com 

No comments: