Saturday, May 18, 2013

Rosary



 Poem © 2013 by Joyce Mason
All Rights Reserved



The men I’ve loved
are beads
interconnected
heart amulets
strung together,
beads I’ve prayed over
since my first love
in Catholic School.
He was my sign
of the cross
made with the cross
of the rosary itself:
start on my forehead
follow with
the chaste ritual kiss
on the cross
before the litany
of repetitious prayers.

First love, my passion
sacrificed so young
all the others
carried and continued
the loss.
No wonder to this day
I still sing the requiem Mass
spontaneously
the Latin words bursting from my lips
at the most inopportune moments
religious Tourette’s
a sanctimonious, musical tic.

Most of my men
were the Joyful,
Sorrowful and Glorious Mysteries
all rolled into one.
The Church taught me little
practical
about how to deal with any of them.
Thank God I disobeyed
about birth control
and didn’t drag
any children
into my
learn by burn
my hell
on Earth.

Now even with the cosmos
the only God big enough for me
I work so hard
on loving myself
as much as all those men
and every living thing
I still crave
the rhythm
of the rosary
the linkage
of all my loves
with a Bigger Love
the love
that now must start
and end
with me
on my own tongue
where I receive
Communion.

~.~.~

Photo Credit: © Pietro D'Antonio – fotolia. com


No comments: